By performing in a variety of venues, the Rockland Camerata promotes the development of musical skill, knowledge, and passion in its members while exposing its audience to the ever-expanding choral repertoire.
An ensemble of approximately 25 voices, the Rockland Camerata strives to provide audiences with a luscious variety of both sacred and secular music, from the 16th century through to present day compositions. It is made up of dedicated men and women who enjoy the opportunity to become acquainted with fine music and perform with professional instrumentalists and vocal soloists. We have a distinguished history of bringing music of high caliber to the lower Hudson Valley, and we have worked with many other groups, such as the Rockland Symphony Orchestra, the County Choral Society, and the Rockland Opera Society, in our efforts to share and promote the enjoyment of classical music.
The Rockland Camerata was founded in 1978 and incorporated as a not-for-profit organization (501c3) in 1980. The Camerata founder, Dr. William H. Reese, also founded the Philadelphia Chamber Chorus in 1951, was Music Director of the renowned Bach Festival Chorus of Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, and was Professor of Music at Haverford College in Pennsylvania, conducting the College Chorus and the Bryn Mawr-Haverford College Orchestra. Maestro Reese retired from the Rockland Camerata in 1999. He was honored in 1995 with a Lifetime Award from the County Executive and the Arts Council of Rockland for his more than 20 years of leading the Rockland Camerata.
The Rockland Camerata is an Affiliate of the Rockland Conservatory of Music. The Rockland Camerata gratefully acknowledges the support the of Rockland County Legislature for grant funding which partially underwrites the concert season.
Board of Directors
Carolyn (Sam) Amdurer and Susan Rentz, Co-Presidents
Elaine Royal, Recording Secretary
Megan Stover, Corresponding Secretary
Lise Chanin, Treasurer
Scott Nathan Louis