If you are interested in auditioning for St. Joseph Valley Camerata, please email Scott Hochstetler.
- The audition lasts about 15 minutes.
- The audition consists of:
- A vocalise to check range.
- One prepared solo (ex. art song, opera or oratorio aria) in a language other than English.
- the piece does not need to be memorized.
- music for the accompanist and music director should be provided
- the singer might be asked to sing his/her solo again and adjust the tone and/or level of vibrato.
- One prepared choral excerpt from "For Unto Us a Child Is Born" in Handel's Messiah to check ability to sing melismatic passages.
- Download the score.
- Singers should prepare the following measures: sopranos: ms. 13-18, altos: ms. 56-61, tenors: ms. 38-41, basses: ms. 19-24.
- Taking a "catch breath" in the middle of the run is perfectly acceptable.
- A short sight-reading excerpt that will have piano accompaniment.
- Tonal memory passages where 4-5 notes will be played on the piano and sung back by the singer.
- Please bring to the audition a short list of your musical background, musical education, and performing experience.